Protect Against Malware with Policy-Based Endpoint Security
The security landscape is shifting from large, widespread malware outbreaks to targeted, quiet threats. According to NSS Labs, the protection against malware afforded by traditional AV solutions varies between 34% and 92%, an astonishing 58% range.1 Furthermore, a growing number of insider attacks are becoming more sophisticated, with 22% maliciously introducing rootkits or hacker tools to compromised an organization's network.2
Traditionally, all forms of malware, viruses, worms, etc. were solely introduced via rogue executables downloaded off the Internet, but now these can also be introduced via removable devices. If an audio player, flash drive or USB stick becomes infected, the user could plug it into the corporate network and unknowingly unleash a crippling virus. Recent examples of this include:
- The SillyFD-AA worm, which spreads by copying itself from infected machines onto removable drives such as USB memory sticks before automatically running when the device is next connected to a computer.
- TomTom’s announcement that an isolated amount of GO 910 devices were shipped with a virus pre-installed. Infected versions of the GO will try to copy the malicious software to a PC when connected.
- McDonald’s recalling MP3 players it offered as a prize, after discovering that the prizes were loaded with a particularly nasty strain of malware. Up to 10,000 people might have been exposed the QQpass spyware Trojan after claiming a Flash MP3 player.
- Apple’s announcement that a small percent of Video iPods -- pocket-sized devices that can play music and video clips - left its contract manufacturer carrying the virus RavMonE.exe, which affects computers running Microsoft Windows operating system.
Lumension® Endpoint Protection and Data Protection Solutions Prevent Malware, Spyware, Viruses and Zero-Day Threats
The Lumension® Endpoint Protection solution is comprised of Lumension® Application Control - which protects against targeted threats and enables only authorized applications to execute or connect to the endpoint, with simplified application discovery, whitelist creation / enforcement, and maintenance capabilities – and Lumension® AntiVirus – which combines traditional blacklisting with advanced heuristics capabilities to protect against viruses, worms, Trojans and other malware. The Lumension® Data Protection solution, comprised of Lumension® Device Control - which prevents the introduction of malware through removable media devices – and Lumension® Disk Encryption – which ensures all endpoint data are protected.
Leveraging the platform capabilities of the Lumension® Endpoint Management and Security Suite, Lumension allows administrators to rapidly implement defense-in-depth security on all endpoints and create the policies required to appropriately balance security with productivity, utilizing a wide array of protections, including: traditional signature-matching, innovative heuristics technologies, application whitelisting, and advanced memory protection capabilities. Detailed audit capabilities log all endpoint activities, as well as any administrator actions, to provide the necessary visibility to maintain a secure network.
Lumension® Endpoint Protection and Data Protection Solutions Prevent Malware, Viruses and Zero-Day Threats by:
- Stopping known and unknown threats from running on endpoints (including viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware, keyloggers, zero-day threats, etc.) regardless of infiltration vector
- Preventing memory injection attacks from compromising endpoints
- Providing detailed audit trail of all device usage and application execution attempts
- Identifying organizational security holes in the protection of sensitive information through comprehensive auditing capabilities
- Safeguarding against network security breaches where confidential data could be exposed or stolen
- NSS Labs, Consumer AV / EPP Comparative Analysis (Oct-2012)
- CSO Magazine et al., 2011 CyberSecurity Watch Survey (Jan-2011)